The Bayport Heritage Association was formed in 1983 and is dedicated to the preservation of the history of Bayport. The association has an extensive collection of archival photographs, vintage clothing, artifacts and books. Through the years, the group has been particularly active in the restoration of Meadow Croft, a John Ellis Roosevelt summer home and now a historical museum on the border of Bayport and Sayville. The association provides lectures and resources- educational, historical, environmental and social programs and services for the community and interested public.

Middle Road and Bayport's Name

In 1834 a road was built through the middle of the farmlands from Sayville to Blue Point and the road was named Middle Road.
At first the Bayport community was called Middle Road Village, but then renamed Southport.
Since there was another village upstate called Southport, the name had to be changed again.
When the Post Office was set up in 1858, the name was changed to Bayport.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message and we will respond as soon as possible. Thank you!